Plant Breeding, Biotechnology and Biostaics Questions from Previous Years’ Papers
1. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Hybrid vigour and its importance in agriculture.
(b) Null hypothesis
(c) Degrees of freedom
2. Write an account of genetic code and regulation of gene expression.
3. Give an account of structural, biochemical and metabolic changes associated with senescence of flowers and ornamentals.
4. Write short notes on the following:
(e) Mass selection
5. How do tetraploidy and aneuploidy originate. What are their roles in Plants Breeding?
6. Enumerate the secondary plant products with emphasis on the roles of pigments.
7. What is micropropagation? Describe the generalized technique of micropropagation.
8. Discuss the advantages of micropropagation.
9. List of various Rhizobium species and their host legumes.
10. Write short notes on importance of apomixis in plant breeding.
11. What is Bt cotton?
12. Discuss the pros and cons of the use of transgenic crops.
13. Draw a well-labelled diagram of a chloroplast as seen under an electron microscope.
14. What is heterosis? Explain the various theories of heterosis.
15. Explain hydridization as a method of plant breeding.
16. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Male sterility (b) Chi-square test
(c) Hydroponics (d) Nitrogenase
(e) Dormancy (f) Endemism
(g) Xerosere (h) Prion
(0 Standard deviation
17. What is recombinant DNA technology? How is it employed in genetic engineering?
18. What is genetic code? Explain the mechanism of genetic code in the transfer of information from DNA to amino acids.
19. Evaluate the different gene transfer techniques for the production of transgenic plants.
20. Discuss the Biotechnology and Agriculture.
21. Enumerate the types of selectable marker genes employed in developing transgenic plants.
22. Write brief notes on different strategies for the improvement of self-pollinated crops.
23. Critically discuss the significance of light in flowering.
24. Explain the mechanism of flower induction in crop plants by verbalization.
25. Explain aspects and importance of gene mapping in crop improvement.
26. What is the nature of genetic code? Examine methods to decipher the genetic code.
27. Discuss methods to measure plant growth. Suggest suitable growth indices to the breeders to screen better plant types.
28. Describe the morphological and biochemical changes accompanying seed germination.