1. Who were the Sufis? Name one sufi saint of India.
14 important questions on History on Culture under the Delhi Sultanate and Mughal Period
Nizamuddin Auliya was a renowned sufi saint of India.
2.Essays on a sultan who helped Hindu-Muslim assimilation. How he did it?
Zain-ul Abedin, the Sultan of Kashmir, helped Hindu-Muslim assimilation during the Sultanate period.
He gave proof of his liberal attitude by patronizing the Persian translations of the Mahabharata and Rajatarangini.
3. Which was the oldest sufi order in India? Wherefrom did the sufis come to India?
Chisti sufi order was the earliest in India.
The sufis came to India from Central and West Asia.
4. What was the Bhakti Movement? Name a Bhakti saint of Bengal.
The liberal Bhakti emphasized simple devotion and faith as the means of salvation for one and all.
Srikrishna Chaitanya was a great Bhakti saint of Bengal.
5. What are the two Bhakti saints whose contributions were greatest and why?
Of the Bhakti saints the contributions of Kabir and Nanak were the greatest.
This was because of the fact that both of them laid emphasis on simple living. This made strong appeal to the artisans and cultivators who were their main followers.
6. Who was considered the bridge between the Bhakti Movement of the South and North India? Who was the founder of Sikhism?
Ramananda, the Bhakti saint, was the bridge between the Bhakti Movement of the South and North India.
Nanak was the founder of Sikhism.
7. Who were the first and last of the Sikh gurus?
Nanak was the first guru of Sikhism.
Guru Govind Singh was the 1Oth or last of the Sikh gurus.
8. Essays about Bhakti saint of the Mughal period who was much influenced by the Sufis. Name the brotherhood he established.
Dadu Dayal, the Bhakti saint of the Mughal period, was much influenced by the Sufi ideas.
He used the mystic words in Arabic and Persian in his teaching. The brotherhood founded by him was known as the Parahrahma Sampradaya.
9. What are the two features of history-writing under the Mughals.
The two features of history-writing during the Mughal period were:
(a). Composition of memories by the emperor themselves such as Tuzuk-i-Baburi, Tuzuk-i-Jahcuigiri, etc.
(b). Another feature of the history writing of the period was the traditional writing of official or court history called the namas.
10.What are the first building erected by the Muslims in India. Give an example of the Vijaynagar architecture.
uwwat-ul Islam was the earliest specimen of Islamic architecture in India.
The best example of Vijaynagar architecture was Hazara temple.
11. With whom came the Persian architectural style in India? What was the feature of the style?
It was with the Muslim Turks that Persian style of architecture came to India.
The features of the new architectural form were the construction of arch and dome.
12. Where is Adina Masjid located? Under whom was built the Choto Sona Masjid?
Adina Masjid is located at Pandua in West Bengal.
Choto Sona Masjid was built by Hussain Shah.
13. Essays on one architectural specimen each of Vijaynagar and Bahmani.
The best specimen of the Vijayanagar architectural style is the Vitalswami temple.
The best specimen of the Bahmani architectural style is the Chandminar of Daulatabad.
14. Who was the greatest musician of Akbar’s time? Name two painters of the Mughal period.
Miyan Tansen was the greatest singer of Akbar’s time.
Two great painters of the Mughal period were Abul Hassan and Mansur.