Right food at the right time in the right manner and in right quantity, is the basic principle of diet planning. While planning considers the following principles of:
2. Selection of food items from broad food groups.
3. Age, as diet for an infant would be different from that of a child.
4. Sex implies slight variations in few food items according to requirements.
5. Occupation as calories would depend on type of work involved,, i.e. light, heavy, intellectual.
6. Feasibility i.e. depending on climatic and seasonal conditions.
7. Economy inexpensive food items may give the same amount of calories as yielded by expensive food items. Cheaper may also be better.
8. Regularity of taking diet.