Following are the advantages of polygyny:
(1) Polygyny checks sexual immorality because the husband gets adequate satisfaction of his sexual urge in the company of number of wives.
(2) It brings economic stability in the family, because both husband and his wives and children earn something for the family.
(3) Children are better looked after because a number of women are there to look after them.
(4) Polygyny leads to division of labour among the wives in domestic works of the family.
Following are the disadvantages of polygyny:
(1) The status of women suffers in a society of polygyny.
(2) Jealousy, hatred and quarrel among the women are found due to lack of understanding among the wives.
(3) The children cannot be brought up with proper care.
(4) Polygyny increases the sexual dissatisfaction among the wives. It is because one man cannot give adequate sexual pleasure to a number of wives. As a result of which it leads to adultery.
(5) Polygyny increases financial burden on the head of the family. Because it is difficult for a man to maintain a large number of wives and children in a family.