1. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL): It was established in 1964 and has 12 factories located at-Bangalore (five factories), Koraput, Nasik, Karwa, Kanpur, Lucknow, Barrackpur, Hyderabad.
HAL has now undertaken production of MIG-27 aircraft.
2. Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL): It was established in 1954 and has nine factories, including the new units which are located at- Bangalore, Ghaziabad, Pune, Machilipatnam, Taloja (Maharashtra), panchkula (Haryana), Kotdwara, Hyderabad, Chennai.
BEL manufactures low and high power communication equipment like radars etc.
3. Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML): It was established in 1964 and has three factories located at Bangalore, Mysore and Kolar/Gold Fields, where heavy equipment such as bulldozers, dumpers, loaders, cranes, etc., are manufactured.
4. Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL): It was established in 1970 and is located at Hyderabad to manufacture guided missiles.
5. Ship-building Factories: (i) Mazgaon Dock Limited (MDL), Mumbai, is engaged in ship-building.
(ii) Garden Reach Shipbuilder and Engineering Limited (GRSE), Kolkata.
(iii) Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) was established in 1957 under the
Portuguese rule and taken over in 1961.
6. Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI): MIDHANI was
established in 1973 and has a factory at Hyderabad. They manufacture sophisticated and strategic special metals and alloys required by sectors like Nuclear Energy, Aeronautics, Space, etc. Other Defence Production Units are: (1) Praga Tools, Hyderabad. 00 Heavy Vehicles Factory, Avadi.