1. The Constitution of India is a written and comprehensive document with 395 Articles and 12 Schedules.
2. India is a Sovereign Socialist Secular Democratic Republic.
3. It guarantees Fundamental Rights to all citizens of India.
4. It incorporates Fundamental Duties of citizens.
5. It lays down the ‘Directive Principles of State Policy’ for the guidance of the legislatures and the executive of the country.
6. It establishes a parliamentary system of government.
7. It establises a federation with strong unitary features.
8. It is both rigid and flexible.
9. It provides for an independent Judiciary, with the Supreme Court as the highest court of appeal.
10. It introduces adult franchise or universal adult suffrage.
11. It recognizes only one citizenship i.e. Indian citizenship
12. It abolishes untouchability in every form.