11 Short Questions and Answers on Constitution of India
1. Who framed the Constitution of India?
The Constitution of India was framed by Constituent Assembly which was established in 1946.
2. Who was the President (Chairman) of the Constituent Assembly?
The first session of the Constituent Assembly started on 9th December, 1946. Dr. Sachidanand Sinha, the oldest member of the Constituent Assembly, was chosen as the temporary chairman of the Assembly. On 11th December, 1946, Dr. Rajendra Prashad was unanimously elected its permanent chairman.
3. Name any four members of the Constituent Assembly?
The following were the members of the Constituent Assembly:
(i) Dr. Rajendra Prashad
(ii) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
(iii) Sh. Jawaharlal Nehru
(iv) Sh. KM. Munshi
(v) Dr. S. Radhakrishnan.
4. When did the Constituent Assembly adopt the Constitution of India? When did it come into force?
The Constitution of India was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on 26th November, 1949. It came into force on the 26th January, 1950.
5. What are the ideals before the Indian Nation?
The Constitution of India lays down certain ideals before the Indian nation. These are: Democracy, socialism, secularism and National integration.
6. Do you think Constituent Assembly itself functioned and was formed based on some democratic principles, why?
The Constituent Assembly was formed on some democratic principles. Out of its 389 members, 296 were elected by the people, while others were nominated by the rulers of the states. In its working also the Constituent Assembly also adopted democratic principles since its many decisions were taken by majority vote.
7. What do you understand by Constituent Assembly?
An Assembly of people’s representatives that write a Constitution for a country.
8. When and by whom was Objective Resolution put before the Constituent Assembly?
The Objective Resolution was placed before the Constituent Assembly on December 13, 1946 by Shri Jawaharlal Nehru, who became the first Prime Minister of India.
9. The Drafting Committee of the Constituent Assembly had how many members who were its chairman?
The Drafting Committee had 7 members and Dr. B.R. Ambedkar was its chairman.
10. How much time did the Constituent Assembly take in framing the Constitution of India?
The Constituent Assembly took 2 years 11 months and 18 days in framing the Constitution of India which was adopted by it on 26th November, 1949.
11. What do you understand by the word ‘Socialism’ which was added to the Preamble to the Constitution by 42nd amendment in 1976?
It means that administration in India should be run in such a way as to ensure equitable distribution of wealth among the various classes of people. All should be given equal opportunities for their development and there should be minimum economic equality.