The term family welfare is now used in place of the previous term family planning. Family welfare signifies “the improvement of the quality of health and welfare of the entire family”.
Family welfare/planning includes
1. Spacing and limitation of births
2. Advice on sterility
3. Education of parenthood
4. Sex education
5. Genetic counseling
6. Carrying out pregnancy tests
7. Services to unmarried mothers
8. Premarital examination and counseling
9. Maternity and child health (MCH) services
10. Immunization service.