5 specific characteristics of Management suggested by the American Management Association:
Furthermore, the American Management Association has contended that management as a profession meets the following basic but specific characteristics:
1. It has a body of knowledge that is transferable. There are basic principles of management which can be identified, mastered and practiced. This body of knowledge is being constantly enlarged and enriched from the experience of successful management as well as from the research finding of sociologists and scientists in related areas.
2. It follows a scientific approach. There are prescribed patterns for managerial operations.
3. It requires specific skill and tools that are used in the performance of managerial duties and responsibilities.
4. It adheres to a code of ethics. A professional manager is perfect in his role and is honest in his attitude and philosophy.
5. It has a required discipline. As in the case of other professional careers, managing required a discipline for effective performance.