While writing letter on someone’s engagement or marriage, express your feelings and sentiments as warmly as the occasion obviously warrants. If one is writing to someone close, its length cannot be prescribed.
At the very outset express your happiness:
1. How happy/excited I am to learn about your engagement/ marriage!
2. How excited I was when I received your wedding invitation card!
3. The other day, when Mohan brought the news of your marriage/ engagement, I was quite thrilled.
4. My happiness and joy knew no bounds when I came to know about your marriage.
5. I am truly overjoyed to learn about your daughter’s wedding/ engagement.
6. The happy news of your engagement/wedding has given tremendous pleasure to all of us here.
7. You don’t know how eagerly I am looking forward to attend your wedding.
8. Thank you for your invitation to attend your marriage with Gita on (date)
9. Thank you for your kind invitation to the wedding of your son/ daughter with…………. on (date).
10. It has been a pleasure to hear about the long awaited event/ most important event in your life, taking place on (date)
After expressing happiness, convey congratulations:
11. Please convey my best wishes and congratulations to your daughter/ son.
12. God bless you on this happy occasion.
13. With many thanks for the invitation, please accept my congratulations/ best wishes on this memorable occasion in your life.
In order to convey your special interest on the occasion, add one or two sentences in praise of the person/s finance/ finance:
14. I am happy to know that you are getting married to a girl of your own choice.
15. My sister, who once happened to be a college-mate of your finance, tells me that she is a remarkable girl.
16. Your finance, who is our family friend, is a very fine chap.
17. It is of great delight to know that your finance is a lecturer in a local college. 18.1 must say that you really are very lucky to have him/ her as your life-partner.
19. I am certain that you two will make a happy married couple/ an ideal match/ couple.
20. Now with your daughter married off to such a good family, your worries are over.
21. I am pleased to learn that your daughter-in-law is not only sweet but highly educated too.
22. It is really great that your would-be son-in-law is such a senior executive at such a young age.
23. I know your finance well and I am convinced that she will make an ideal/ a good wife.
Marriage bestows a social privilege, but, it also means new responsibilities. It will not be out of place to mention about it. Preferably these sentences are written by elderly people to the youngsters:
24. With all my heart, I wish you a blissful conjugal life.
25. One thing you should not overlook is the fact that marriage means many compromises and adjustments.
26. You are committing yourself to a great responsibility and I wish you all success in sailing through it.
27. But, see to it that you act as a cementing factor in the new family.
28. I take this opportunity to wish both you and (the ‘would be’ name) a long and happy married life.
Enquiries about the date of marriage can be made, if the letter is being written on the occasion of engagement:
29. Please let me know when the marriage is going to be solemnized.
30. I hope it takes place as early as possible.
31. If I can be of any service during the wedding, please let me know.
32. It has been very thoughtful of you to have chosen October for wedding when the weather is going to be pleasant.
Close by summarizing the message:
33. Congratulations, and Best Wishes to the newlyweds.
34. Please convey our best wishes to your son/ daughter for a long and happy married life.
35. Wish you/you’re…. (Son/daughter/nephew/niece) a long and happy married life.
36. I am eagerly looking forward to joining you on this occasion.
37. Best of luck in life.
38. Hope you won’t mind my absence in the functions, but don’t forget to see us with your sweetheart when you are in Delhi.
39. I wish I could participate in/ attend the functions and see you all there, but, owing to prior engagements/ pre-occupation/ unavoidable official commitments/ being out of town, I regret I will not be able to make it.
40. I was holding back this reply on the hope that I would be able to make it, but, due to the last minute change in plans, I regret I will not be able to attend the functions.
41. As things stand now, I hope to be able to participate in the function unless some problem crops up at the last moment/ unless I happen to be out of town.
42. I am just waiting to arrange a gala party in honour of your marriage after the great event.
43. Congratulations and wish you a happy married life.
How excited I am to learn about your engagement! Congratulations and Best Wishes for a happy married life. I am happy to know that you are getting married to a girl of your own choice. I am certain that you two will make an ideal couple. You are now committing yourself to a great responsibility and I wish you all success in sailing through it. Please let me know when the marriage is going to be solemnized. IV is eagerly looking forward to joining you on this occasion.
Best of luck in life.
With love and regards,