Man cannot live without water and it is the best fluid to drink in any form. 75% of the body weight consist of water.
An average adult needs to take 4 to 5 liters of water a day because the same amount is eliminated from the body in the form of urine, perspiration and water vapours by the lungs in the process of breathing out. It has very important functions in the body.
1. It helps in the elimination of poisonous elements and waste products from the body.
2. It helps in the digestion of food. All digestive juices are in watery form.
3. It forms the basis of the body fluids like plasma of the blood, the lymph, digestive juices and other secretions.
4. It saves the bones from becoming brittle and dry.
5. It regulates body temperature.