1. India has one of the largest road networks in the world. Roads have been in existence since ancient times. Ashoka and Chandragupta made great efforts to build roads.
2. Roads are important for transport of goods and passengers for short and medium distances.
3. They are relatively cheap and easy both in construction and maintenance.
4. Roads are built even in mountainous terrain. They connect fields with markets, factories with farms and provide door to door service.
5. For transport of perishable commodities, roads provide better services than the railways.
6. Railways are convenient for long distance travelling, while roads are more useful for short distances both for passengers and goods.