Though different animal have different types of shelter yet an animal shelter, in general should have the following characteristics:
1. It should protect the animal from heat, cold and rain.
2. It should be clean, dry and well ventilated.
3. It should be well lighted.
4. It should have arrangements for drinking water supply for animals.
5. It should be specious so as to provide enough space for each animal to stay comfortably.
6. It should have arrangements for the hygienic disposal of animal excreta.
7. In case of poultry birds it should protect them from predators such as cats and dogs.
It should be free from disease causing organisms such as viruses’ bacteria and fungi.