Brief Notes on Indian Monsoon
i. Climate Regime India is defined as the monsoon climate because monsoon winds govern them strongly.
ii. The major climatic terms with regard to India are:
Pre-Monsoon, Monsoon and the Post-Monsoon.
iii. The Indian atmosphere remains on loaded with monsoon throughout the year:
- Sometimes it experiences advancing monsoon.
- Yet another time it experiences North-east monsoon.
- Another time it experiences monsoon withdrawal.
iv. The sailors who came to India in historic times first noticed the phenomenon of the monsoon.
v. They benefited from the reversal of the wind system because of their coming to India by sailing ships at the mercy of winds.
- The Arabs came to India as traders and named this seasonal reversal of the wind system ‘Monsoon’.
- The word monsoon derived from the Arabic word ‘Mausim’ which means season.