According to the British Journal of Educational Technology published by the National centre for Educational Technology, U.k. – No. 2, Vol. 2, May 1971.
“Educational technology basically means all the intellectual and operational efforts made during recent years to regroup, arrange and systematize the application of scientific methods to the organization of new sets of equipment and material so as to optimize learning process”.
According to Technical Working Group for Educational Technology in Asia under APEID – 1995 defined educational technology as: “Educational technology is a separate field dealing with the theory of education with development and application of the educational resources which implies following principle:
1. Clarifies educational objectives.
2. Placing content of elements in a logical order.
3. Specifies the process of teaching learning
4. Acquires the knowledge through development of models of teaching.
5. Adjoining the teaching learning process with feedback.
6. Selection, evaluation and optimization of media.
Scope of Educational Technology:
Educational technology is a process- oriented technique. Educational technology is not limited to teaching and learning process and theories still teaching-learning process is influenced much more by educational technology. Theories have been shifted from learning to teaching only due to educational technology.
If the educational technology is limited to audio-visual aids, mechanical and electronic gadgets the scope of educational technology becomes limited, but educational technology is not limited to all these things rather, it pervades all over. Educational technology should go into:
1. At home.
2. Managed by external assistance.
3. Rigorous task analysis.
4. Specification of direct behaviour.
5. Determination of pre-requisites and the gradual direct behaviour.
6. Clear specification of the problem.
7. Hindrance in solving problems.
8. Management and organization of man, material, resources.
9. Availability of a few media as for example films, television, radio etc.
10. Developing software technology.