1. A retailer is the intermediary between wholesaler and the ultimate consumer. He is the last link in the chain of distribution.
2. A retailer buys goods from wholesalers and sells them in small quantities to ultimate consumers.
3. He maintains personal contact with his customers.
4. Generally, a retailer deals in a wide variety of goods.
5. He performs various marketing functions and displays goods to attract customers.
6. A retailer usually buys goods on credit and sells on cash basis.
7. Retail shops are generally situated near to customers.