The term ‘Emotion’ is derived from the Latin term, ‘ which means ‘to stir’, ‘to agitate’, ‘to move’ or ‘to excite’. Emotional development is one of the major aspects of adolescence growth and development.
Not only Adolescent’s physical growth and development is linked with his emotional make-up but his aesthetic, intellectual, moral and social development is also controlled by his emotional development. Adolescent must be trained to control their emotions and achieve a mental balance and stability which will lead to individual happiness and social efficiency.
How Emotions work:
All of us observes a large number of persons and objects in this world. We have some feeling for them in our mental make-up. Sometimes our feelings become strong either in favour or against the object or individual or an occasion. This disturbs our mental balance.
This disturbance is known as Emotion. It not only disturbs our mind, but the entire organism, is expressed in various movements and expressions of body and it tries adjust to face the situation.
Factors in school environment which disturb the Emotional Development in the Adolescents:
I. Lack of security
II. Economic disparities
III. Fearful atmosphere in school.
IV. Faulty methods of teaching.
V. Emotionally unbalanced teacher.
VI. Traditional concept of discipline.
VII. Disregard of individual differences.
VIII. Lack of co-curricular actives.
IX. Lack of sex education.
X. Faulty examination system.
XI. Faulty curriculum.
Following are the role of the school and the teacher in satisfying the needs of the Emotional Development of the Adolescent:
1) Providing equal treatment irrespective of considerations of wealth status or gender of the Adolescents.
2) He should give an opportunity for development of creating abilities i.e. through music, art, drama, sport etc.
3) Love and affection on the part of the teacher to be made the basis of work.
4) Teacher should also solve the curiosity of the students and a class as a whole.
5) He should use dynamic and progressive methods of teaching-learning.
6) Teacher should give due regard to individual differences of the Adolescents.
7) Classes related to sex education should also be formed.
8) Teacher should also provide a conducive environment.
9) Physical energy is maximum during this period. So, teacher should utilise it to the maximum.
10) Teacher should give students opportunities to solve problem and reason scientifically.
11) Teacher should provide Healthy physical conditions in the schools.
12) Proper orientation should be there.