1. These forests are found in hot and humid areas of India where the rainfall is over 200 cms and relative humidity is more than 70%. Average temperature is about 24°C.
2. Trees are over 60 metres high and there is no fixed time for trees to shed their leaves. Therefore the forests appear green all the year round.
3. Vegetation consists of shrubs, climbers, epiphytes, bamboo and ferns.
4. The trees are hardwood but due to the dense undergrowth cannot be exploited commercially.
5. The important trees are mahogany, ebony, rosewood, rubber and cinchona.
6. The tropical evergreen forests are spread over the North Eastern states, Andaman and Nicobar, Western slopes of Western Ghats and the sub Tropical Himalayas. Important Trees and their uses