The main points of differences between society and community are the following:
1) Society is a web of social relationships. It includes every relationship which established among the people. This social relationship may be direct or India organised or unorganized, conscious or unconscious. But community consists group of individuals.
2) A definite geographical area is not necessary for society. It is universal and pervasive; but, a definite geographical area is essential for a community.
3) Community Sentiment or a sense of “we feeling” is not essential in a society; community sentiment is indispensable for a community. There can be no community in the absence of community sentiment.
4) Society is wider; there can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society. There cannot be more that one society in a community.
5) Society is abstract. It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched. On the other hand, community is concrete. It is a group of people living in a particular area. We can see this group and locate its existence.
6) In a community, common interests and common objectives are necessary. People in a community live together for achievement of common interests and common objectives. On the other hand, common interests and common objectives are not necessary in society.
7) Society involves both like-ness and difference. Both common and diverse interests are present in society. But, likeness is more important than difference in community.