Some of the important properties of liquid are given below :
Properties of a Liquid:
1. A liquid has a definite volume.
Reason: Intermolecular force of attraction is just strong enough to confine the molecules in a definite space.
2. A liquid has no definite shape and acquires the shape of the container. It can flow from a higher lever to a lower level.
Reason: Intermolecular force of attraction is weaker in a liquid than in a solid. Liquid molecules can move, slip and slide over each other because their molecular separation is larger. The liquid acquires the shape of the container.
3. Reason: Intermolecular force of attraction is weaker but molecular speed is greater in a liquid than in a solid. The effect of attraction confines the molecules whereas the effect of speed makes the molecules fly apart. The combined effect of these two factors is such that a liquid has a surface which depends on the shape of the container.
4. A liquid is compressible.
Reason: Distance between the neighboring molecules is larger in a liquid than in a solid.
5. A liquid can diffuse into another liquid, but this is much slower as compared to the diffusion of gases.
Reason: Molecules move faster in a liquid than in a solid but slower as compared to the molecules of a gas.
6. A liquid on heating changes into its gaseous state.
Reason: Heating increases the intermolecular separation of the liquid molecules but decreases their intermolecular force of attraction. On cooling, vapours lose heat and are converted into liquid.