Management has been described as the vital organ of an organization. It is a creative and innovative force directed to secure maximum result by the use of available resources like men, money and material. Management has been defined as the accomplishment of results through the efforts of other people. According Peter Drucker, “management is a multi- purpose ‘organ that manages a business and manages managers and manages workers and work.” According to Quible “management is the process of managing people, which involves getting things done through and with others.”
The primary aim of management is to direct and guide certain group activity. The activities of management are laying down certain plans, policies and purposes, securing men money and material for their achievement, putting these into action and evaluating their performances. When these activities are applied to office, it is termed as office management. Thus office management is the art of guiding the personnel of the office in the use of means appropriate to its environment in order to achieve its specific purpose.”
Office management is that branch of the art and science of management which is concerned with the efficient performance of office work, whenever and wherever that work is done. Office management is concerned with the attainment of certain desired objectives of the enterprise and these objectives may be social service and profit. These objectives are achieved through the use of management processes like planning, controlling, organizing and actuating.
Role of The Office Manager
Office activities are basically a service functions because office provides efficient clerical service to top, middle and lower level management. The primary function of the office manager is to organize and control office services in such a manner that the service functions of an office are performed efficiently and economically. The office manager is a staff executive with functional authority. He performs the dual role of the management functions like organizing and controlling office operation. Since all sorts of office work, can-not be done centrally, it is done at departmental set up. So office manager is a staff executive with functional authority.
The role of the office manager can be earmarked from its relationship with the work, subordinates associates and top management.
1. In Relation to Work—An office manager does the office work in the prescribed manner for the attainment of the organizational objective.
2. The office manager controls the office in an efficient manner.
3. The office manager plans for the entire organization. The planning is done perfectly for the attainment of the organizational objective.
4. The office manager safeguards the interest of the organization.
5. He acts as a linkage between the worker and the management.
6. Office manager has to establish co-operation of various departments and divert their activities for the attainment of the ultimate objective of the enterprise.