250 gms (2 cup sliced) Onions
5 cup stock or water
¼ tsp Powdered black pepper
4 tbsp Grated Cheese
2 tbsp + tbsp Butter plus oil
4 Soup Cubes
1 slice Bread (toasted)
1. Slice the onions very fine. It is important that these are uniformly sliced; so that you get an even colour otherwise some will scorch, while some will be white. A slicer is handy for this.
2. Heat butter and oil (oil is added to prevent butter from burning) in a heavy based saucepan. Add and sauté the onions till they are a rich golden colour. You may start by sautéing over high heat, but lower it after while.
3. Now add the stock or the water and soup cubes to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
4. While the soup is simmering, prepare soup bowls. Cut the toast into 4 pieces.
5. Place a piece in each bowl and over the toast, place a tbsp of grated cheese.
6. Add the salt and pepper to the soup, and pour it into the prepared bowls and serve.