After Independence our Government has formulated many projects in order to solve the problem of floods, irrigation and drainage. They serve numerous purposes simultaneously, hence they are known as Multi-Purpose Projects. Now several river valley projects have been executed in the country. Some of the purposes being served by these projects are:
2. Flood control.
3. Soil conservation.
4. Generation of hydro-electricity.
5. Development of inland water ways.
6. Afforestation in catchment area of reservoirs.
7. Development of fisheries.
8. Provision of drinking water.
9. Development of tourism.
10.Modernisation of agriculture.
11.Navigation and recreation.
12.Development of wild lands to preserve wild life.