If we will analyse the above definitions very carefully we can reach at a conclusion that law is a body of rules recognised and maintained by the state to regulate the human behavior and conduct in a society. A law will present the following characteristics.
1) It is a set of rules.
2) It regulates the human conduct
3) It is created and maintained by the state.
4) It has certain amount of stability, fixity and uniformity.
5) It is backed by coercive authority.
6) Its violation leads to punishment.
7) It is the expression of the will of the people and is generally written down to give it definiteness.
8) It is related to the concept of ‘sovereignty’ which is the most important element of state.