1. Distinguish between the following:
(a) Biodegradation and bioremediation
(b) Disease and disorder
(c) Storied and non-storied wood
2. Explain the following:
(a) Crozier (b) NPC-system
(c) Fruit of wheat (d) Canker
(e) Blight (f) Galls
(g) Masaic (h) Paddy blast
3. What is ‘koji’ fermentation? How is it formed and what are the products produced by it?
4. Give an account of various kinds of biofertilizers.
5. “The rusts of cereals are polymorphic in nature.” Explain this statement and draw the life-cycle and control measures.
6. Define Type Specimen and add a not on the importance of Herbarium.
7. Mention the plants as sources with reference to paper, drugs and resins.
8. Discuss in detail about Ethnobotany.
9. Answer the following:
(a) Cell structure of Zygnema.
(b) Importance of diatomaceous earth.
10. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Chemical preservatives and dyes used in anatomical studies.
(b) Cultivation practice of turmeric in the hilly tracts of India.
(c) Seasoning of wood.
(d) Plants producing essential cosmetic oil.
(e) Three spice yielding plants showing the part’s used as the spice. (Give botanical names of these plants).
(f) Preparation of Vinegar
(g) NPC system.
11. What is the cause of sandal spike? Mention how the disease can be controlled.
12. Describe the following:
(a) Conifer wood
(b) Polyembryony in Gnetum
(e) Bird-pollinated plants
(f) Herbarium Techniques
13. Distinguish between:
(a) Nuclear and Cellular endosperm
(b) Green and Black tea
14. Why is jute considered a labour-intensive crop?
15. Cultivation of edible mushroom (Volvariella sps.) steps leading to sprouting of basidiocarp.
16. Write a short note on Economic importance of Diatomaceous earth.
17. What is unusual about the secondary growth in Salvadora and Bignonia?
18. What are the applications of palynology?
19. What is somaclonal variation? What is its major application?
20. What are the adaptive features of wind- pollinated plants?
21. “Botanical gardens are more than mere gardens.” Substantiate the statement.
22. Describe the following:
(a) Vavilov’s centres of origin (b) Ethnobotany
23. Why is the name ‘Botanical Garden’ given? Give reason.
24. Do we need Energy plantations? Give reasons? And add a critical note on energy plantations.
25. Discuss the role of microbes in agriculture, industry, medicine and pollution control.
26. Write critical notes on:
(a) Molecular methods to create disease resistance in plants.
(b) Physiology of parasitism.
(c) Plants as source for fibres and spices.
(d) Plasmid structure and reproduction.