The environmental problem of India is basically of the following type, the control of which will ensure sustainable development.
1. Population stabilization.
2. Integrated land use planning.
3. Healthy cropland and grassland.
4. Wood land and vegetation of lands.
5. Conservation of biological diversity.
6. Control of pollution in water and air.
7. Development of non-polluting renewable energy system.
8. Recycling of waste and residues.
9. Ecologically compatible human settlements including slum improvement.
10. Environmental education and awareness at all levels.
11. Updating environmental laws.
12. New dimensions to national security.