1. Emphasis on Learning instead of Teaching,
Discussion Method emphasises pupil-activity in the form of discussion, rather than simply telling and lecturing by the teacher. Thus, this method is more effective.
2. Participation by Everybody.
In this method, everybody participates in the discussion, and therefore thinks and expresses himself. This is a sure way of learning.
3. Development of Democratic way of Thinking.
Everybody cooperates in the discussion, and the ideas and opinions of everybody are respected. Thus, there is a development of democratic way of thinking and arriving at decision.
4. Training in Reflective Thinking.
Students, during the course of discussion, get training in reflective thinking, which leads to deeper understanding of the historical problem under discussion.
5. Training in Self-expression.
During discussion, everybody is required to express his ideas and opinions in a clear and concise manner. This provides ample opportunities to the students for training in self-expression.
6. Spirit of Tolerance is inculcated.
The students learn to discuss and differ with other members of the group. They learn to tolerate the views of others even if they are unpleasant and contradictory to each others’ views. Thus, respect for the view points of others is developed.
7. Learning is made Interesting.
History is considered to be a dry subject. The learning of history is made interesting through Discussion Method. More effective learning is possible when the students discuss, criticise and share ideas on a particular problem. Active participation by the students in the discussion makes learning full of interest for the students. This also ensures better and effective learning.
1. All types of topics cannot be taught by Discussion Method.
2. This method cannot be used for teaching small children.
3. The students may not follow the rules of discussion.
4. Some students may not take part while others may try to dominate.
5. The teacher may not be able to guide and provide true leadership in the discussion.
In spite of these limitations, Discussion Method is a very useful and effective method for the teaching of History.