The term office management has been defined in the following ways by different authors:
1. “Office management is that branch of management which is concerned with the services of obtaining, recording and analyzing information of planning and communicating, by means of which the management of a business safeguards its assets, promotes its affairs and achieves its objectives.” Institute of Administrative Management, England.
2. “Office management may be defined as the manipulation and control of men, methods, machines and materials to achieve the best possible result of the highest possible quality with the best possible effort and expense, in the shortest practicable time and in a manager acceptable to the top management.”
3. “Office management is mainly concerned with the organization of an office in order to achieve a specific performance, and to make the best use of the personnel by using the most appropriate machines and equipment, the best possible methods and by providing the most suitable environment.”
4. “Office management as a function is that branch of the art and science of management which is concerned with the efficient performances of office work, whenever and wherever that work is done.”
5. “Office management may be defined as the art of guiding the personnel of the office in the use of materials, methods, machines and equipment appropriate to their environment in order to achieve its specified purposes.”
6. “Office management as a task of planning, co-ordination, motivating the efforts of others towards the specific objectives in the office”.
Definitions that office management means planning, organizing, co-ordination and controlling the activities of an office. The other names used for office management are: Administrative office management, Scientific office management, Information management etc.