1. This industry is a modern industry which has affected as well as changed the lives of the people.
2. It includes a wide range of products like computers, pagers, equipment for post and telegraphs, transistors, cellular and defence equipment.
3. The Electronics Corporation of India Ltd. (ECIL) was set up at Hyderabad in 1970. It manufactures modular systems for use in medical, agricultural and industrial fields. It also has a well equipped laboratory to carry out tests.
4. The Indian Telephone Industries (ITI) was set up near Bangalore in 1950. Besides developing telecommunications it is also manufacturing long distance transmission systems and electronic test instruments.
5. The Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL). This public sector unit was set up at Bangalore to attend to the needs of the defence, meteorological department and All India Radio.
Television and Audio Systems
1. There has been a tremendous rise in the use of Television and Audio systems in the 1990s.
2. BPL and Videocon accounted for 52% of the market followed by Onida and Philips, Panasonic and Akai were among the International brands.
3. The V.C.R. industry has suffered a setback due to the Cable TV being more popular in cities.
4. The audio industry can be classified as mono players, stereo players, CD based systems and car audios. The main companies are Philips, BPL and Videocon and the main centres of production are Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai.
1. The electronics Industry has contributed a lot to space technology. The main agencies that have done outstanding work are:
(а) National Remote Sensing Agency at Hyderabad.
(b) Satellite Launching Station at Sri Hari Kota (SHAR).
(c) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in Bangalore.
2. India has launched many satellites like APPLE and INSAT.
1. The industry made major progress in 1990s and is now one of the most important industries of India.
2. The main reason for the progress has been due to the technically skilled man power which has changed India into a super-power.
3. India now provides better quality products, cost effectiveness, high reliability and cost effectiveness.
4. Bangalore and Hyderabad have emerged as the most important cities for software industries.
5. The Indian Computer Industry was at its peak in the year 1995-1996. It is expected to reach 9000 crores by the year 2005.
The following states are the leading industries of: