Some of the essential properties of Bases and Alkalis are given below.
General Properties of Bases and Alkalis:
Bases are usually oxides and hydroxides of metals. Bases that dissolve in water are called alkalis. They have the following properties:
1. Bases are bitter to taste and soapy to touch.
2. Bases turn red litmus paper blue.
3. Bases are characterised by the presence of hydroxyl (-OH) group.
4. Bases react with acids to form salt (a neutral substance) and water.
5. Bases are corrosive to skin; they should not be touched by hand.