The main characteristics of Phylum Hemicordata are given below:
1) Bilaterally symmetrical. Body has more than two cell layers, tissues and organs.
2) Body cavity a true coelom
3) Body possesses a through gut, straight or U-shaped, with an anus.
4) Body divided into three sections, a proboscis, a collar and a trunk.
5) Nervous system normally diffuse, but variable.
6) Has a partially open circulatory system. Possesses glomerulus as an excretory organ.
7) Gonands one too many pairs.
8) Development indirect, usually with free swimming tornaria lava stage.
Ex: – Balanoglossus etc.