Important Characteristics of Chordates are given below:
1) Possesses a Notochord, a hollow nerve cord and a post anal tail.
2) Body has more than two cell layers and includes tissues and organs.
3) Has a U shaped gut.
4) Body has no coelomic body cavity.
5) Body wholly enclosed in a ‘tunic’ of secreted protein and cellulose-like material.
6) Are hermaphroditic, normally with only one ovary and testis.
7) Has a nervous system composed of an anterior ganglion from which individual nerves issue.
8) Has no excretory organs. Has a distinct larval stage.
9) Developments includes free swimming larva stage with advanced characters metamorphosis retrogressive.