Fat elements of the diet help us to achieve the following functions of the body:
1. It produces heat energy and helps to maintain temperature of the body.
2. It lubricates and smoothens the body and saves the skin from becoming rough.
3. It protects the body from the external effect of heat and cold.
4. It is present at the joints and bones and protects them from jerks and jolts.
5. Animal fats are helpful in supplying the vitamins to the body.
Characteristics of Fat
It is heavy to digest. Due to this quality of fat, people are asked not to take too much of fat in old age.