A fine-fold classification, basically based on the nature of cultural contact of the tribals with non-tribals, has been given by S.C. Dubey.
1. Aboriginals living in seclusion;
2. Tribal groups having an association with the neighbouring non-tribal society and also maintaining their distinctiveness;
3. Tribals living in villages along with caste groups, sects and religious groups and maintaining their identity;
4. Tribals who have been degraded to the status of untouchables;
5. Tribals who enjoy high social, economic and political status.