(Formation of the Constitution)
1. The design of the National Flag was adopted by the Constituent Assembly of India in
(a) July, 1948 (b) July, 1947 (b) July, 1950 (d) August, 1947
2. The Constitution of India was enacted by a Constituent Assembly set up
(a) Under the Indian Independence Act, 1947
(b) Under the Cabinet Mission Plan, 1946
(c) Through a resolution of the provisional government
(d) By the Indian National Congress
3. A bill in the imperial Legislative Council for compulsory and free primary education was introduced by
(a) Shankaran Nair (b) Mohammad Shafi
(c) G. K. Gokhale (d) Feroz Shah Mehta
4. Who among the following was the Chairman of the Drafting Committee of the Indian Constitution (CD.S. 1992?)
(a) Rajendra Prasad (b) Tej Bahadur Sapru
(c) C. Rajagopalachari (d) B. R. Ambedkar
5. The Constituent Assembly which framed the Constitution for Independent India was set up in
(a) 1945 (c) 1947 (b) 1946 (d) 1949
6. The Constituent of India was enacted by a Constituent Assembly set up
(a) Under the Indian Independence Act, 1947
(b) By the Indian National Congress
(c) Under the Cabinet Mission Plan, 1946
(d) Through a resolution of the provisional government (b) Mahatma Gandhi (d) J. B. Kripalani
7. Who among the following was not a member of the Constituent Assembly established in July 1946? (U.TJ. 1993)
(a) Vallabhbhai Patel (c) K. M. Munshi («) Abul Kalam Azad
8. What is the special Constitutional position of Jammu & Kashmir?
(a) Indian laws are not applicable.
(b) It has its own Constitution.
(c) It is not one of the integral parts of Indian Union.
(d) It is above Indian Constitution.
9. On whose recommendation was the Constituent Assembly formed?
(a) Mountbatten Plan (b) Cripp's Mission
(c) Cabinet Mission Plan (d) Govt, of India Act, 1935
10. Which of the following statements regarding the Constituent Assembly are true? (IAS. 1993)
1. It was not based on Adult Franchise.
2. It resulted from direct elections.
3. It was a multiparty body.
4. It worked through several Committees, (a) 1 & 2 (b) 2 & 3 (c) 1 & 4 (d) 1,2,3 & 4
11. Which of the following Acts gave representation to the Indians for the first time in legislation?
(a) Govt of India Act, 1935
(b) Indian Councils Act, 1909
(c) Govt of India Act, 1919
(d) Indian Councils Act, 1919
12. Which of the following was adopted from the Maurya dynasty in the emblem of Government of India?
(a) Four lions (b) Chariot Wheel
(c) Horse (d) Words 'Satyameva Jayate'
13. Who presided over the inaugural meeting of the Constituent Assembly of India?
(a) Sachchidananda Sinha (b) B. R. Ambedkar (c) Dr. Rajendra Prasad (d) P. Upendra
14. The idea of the Constitution of India was first of all given by
(a) Mahatma Gandhi (b) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
(c) Jawaharlal Nehru (d) Shri M. N. Roy
15. The Constitution of India was promulgated on January 26, 1950 because
(a) This day was being celebrated as the Independence Day since 1929.
(b) It was the wish of the framers of the Constitution.
(c) The British did not want to leave India earlier than this date.
(d) It was an auspicious day.
16. The first session of the Constituent Assembly was held in
(a) Mumbai (b) Kolkata
(c) Lahore (d) New Delhi
17. The members of the Constituent Assembly were
(a) Elected by Provincial Assemblies
(b) Elected directly by people.
(c) Nominated by the government.
(d) Only representatives of the princely states.
18. The Indian Constitution was enforced on
(a) 30th Jan, 1950 (b) 26th Jan, 1950
(c) 15th Aug, 1947 (d) 26th Nov, 1949
19. The Constitution of India was adopted by the (Teacher's Exam, 1994)
(a) Governor General (b) British Parliament
(c) Constituent Assembly (d) Parliament of India
20. How long did the Constituent Assembly take to finally pass the Constitution?
(a) About 6 months in 1949
(b) Exactly a year since Nov 26, 1948
(c) About 2 years since Aug 15, 1947
(d) About 3 years since Dec 9, 1946
21. The office of Governor General of India was created by
(Assistant Grade, 1991)
(a) Charter Act, 1813
(b) Charter Acfc, 1833
(c) Government of India Act, 1858
(d) Government of India Act, 1935
22. Who was the Chairman of the Constituent Assembly?
(a) Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru (b) Dr. Rajendra Prasad (c) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar (d) C. Rajagopajachari
23. India became a Sovereign, democratic republic on
(a) Aug 15,1947 (b) Jan 30, 1948
(c) Jan 26, 1950 (d) Nov 26, 1929
24. When did Mr. Attlee, Prime Minister of England, announces the transfer of power to the Indians?
(a) February, 1947 (b) August, 1947
(c) June, 1948 (d) June, 1949
25. The Constituent Assembly was created by
(a) Simla Conference, 1945 (b) Cabinet Mission Plan (c) Indian Independence Act (d) Cripps Mission
26. The Constitution names our country as
(a) Bharat (b) India, that is Bharat
(c) Hindustan (d) Aryavarta
27. The Crown of England ceased to have any legal or constitutional authority over India with effect from
(a) Nov 26, 1949 (b) Jan 26, 1950
(c) Aug 15, 1947 (d) None of these
28. The demand for the Constituent Assembly was put forward by the Indian National Congress in 1936 at its session held at
(a) Kanpur (b) Mumbai
(c) Ferozpur (d) Lahore
29. The Constituent Assembly became a sovereign body after
(a) Jan 26, 1950 (b) Nov 26, 1929
(c) Aug 15, 1947 (d) Aug 26, 1949
30. A Constitution is
(a) A set of ordinary laws.
(b) A set of official laws.
(c) A set of financial laws.
(d) The basic structure defining the powers of the state and the rights and duties of the citizens.
31. The Cabinet Mission to India was headed by (Assistant's Grade, 1992)
(a) Stafford Cripps (b) A. V. Alexander
(c) Lord Pethick Lawrence (d) Hugh Gaitskell
32. Cripps Mission visited India in (S.B.I., P.O. 1991)
(a) 1927 (b) 1939
(c) 1942 (d) 1946
33. Who among the following is known as the Father of the Indian Constitution?
(a) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar (b) Mahatma Gandhi (c) Jawaharlal Nehru (d) Vallabhbhai Patel
34. Which of the following rights was described by Dr. B. R. Ambedkar as The Heart and Soul of the Constitution'?
(a) Right to Freedom of Religion
(b) Right to Property
(c) Right to Equality
(d) Right to Constitutional Remedies
35. Who proposed the Preamble before the Drafting Committee of the Constitution? (UJ).C. 1994)
(a) Jawaharlal Nehru (b) B. R. Ambedkar
(c) B. N. Rao (d) Mahatma Gandhi
36. When did the first linguistic state of Andhra come into existence?
(a) October 2, 1953 (b) October 1,1953
(c) April 1, 1953 (d) January 5,1953
37. What was the status of Sikkim at the commencement of the Constitution?
(a) A part B state
(b) An independent state
(c) An independent kingdom attached to India by a special treaty
(d) A part C state
38. Who was the first speaker of the Lok Sabha?
(b) P. Upendra
(c) Anantha Sayanam Ayyanagar
(d) Hukam Singh
39. The state of Mumbai was bifurcated into Maharashtra and Gujarat on May 1, in the year
(a) 1958 (b) 1959
(c) 1962 (d) 1960
40. Which of the following is correct regarding the Indian Constitution?
(a) It is completely based on British Constitution.
(b) It is made only on the basis of Government of India Act, 1935.
(c) It is a mixture of several Constitutions.
(d) It is original.
41. Which of the following Union Territories attained statehood in February, 1987?
(a) Goa (b) Arunachal Pradesh
(c) Pondicherry (d) Daman and Diu
42. The 25th Indian state to achieve statehood is
(a) Goa (b) Arunachal Pradesh
(c) Mizoram (d) Sikkim
43. Chairman of Constitution Drafting Committee at the time of independence was
(a) B. R. Ambedkar (b) S. Radhakrishnan
(c) J. L. Nehru (d) Sardar Patel
44. The demand for a Constitution made by the people of India without outside interference was officially asserted by the National Congress in
(a) 1929 (b) 1935
(c) 1939 ® (d) 1942
45. The Constituent Assembly for undivided India first met on
(a) 6th December, 1946 (b) 9th December, 1946
(c) 20th February, 1947 (d) 3rd June, 1947
46. When was the Madras state renamed Tamil Nadu?
(a) 1969 (b) 1970
(c) 1968 (d) 1971
47. In 1938, who among the following definitely formulated his demand for a Constituent Assembly elected on the basis of adult franchise?
(a) Jawaharlal Nehru (b) C. R. Das
(c) Mahatma Gandhi (d) Subhash Chandra Bose
48. The first state to become bifurcated after independence was
(a) Bengal (b) Mumbai
(c) Punjab (d) Assam
49. When the Constituent Assembly for the Dominion of India reassembled on 31st October, 1947, its reduced membership was
(a) 299 (b) 311
(c) 319 (d) 331
50. Which Article of the Indian Constitution abolishes 'Untouchabliy'?
(SSC C.P.O. Sub- Inspector Exam. 2008)
(a) 14 (b) 15
(c) 16 (d) 17
1. (C) 2. (b) 3. (c) 4 (d) 5.(d) 6.(c) 7.(b) 8.(b) 9. (c) 10.(d)
11. (a) 12. (a) 13. (a) 14. (d) 15.(a) 16(d) 17. (a) 18. (b)
19.(c) 20.(d) 21. (b) 22. (b) 23. (c) 24. (c) 25(b) 26(b)
27.(b) 28.(c) 29.(c) 30.(d) 31(c) 32. (c) 33 (a) 34. (d)
35. (a) 36(b) 37. (c) 38. (c) 39. (d) 40. (c) 41. (b) 42(a)
43(a) 44(b) 45. (b) 46(a) 47.(a) 48.(b) 49.(a) 50. (b)