151. Total's Miscellany (1557) contained the songs and sonnets of
(a) Wyatt and Surrey
(b)Wyatt and Raleigh
(c) Surrey and Sidney
(d)Sidney and Spenser
152. Which of the following causes accounts for the popularity of Elizabethan drama?
(a) Novels were few and could be enjoyed only by the educated
(b)National themes and sentiments were dramatized.
(c) Drama was the best way for the author to earn money
(d)All of the above
153. Campuses, Edition, Hudibras, Love's Metamorphosis and The Woman in the Moon are the best works of John Lyly, who wrote mostly
(a) tragedies (b) comedies
(c) chronicle plays (d) poetic plays
154. The best known play of George Peele is
(b) Edward I
(c) The Old Vibe's Tale
(d) The Woman in the Moon
155. Who among the following University Wits is primarily known for his Friar Bacon and Friar Bunge?
(a) Lyly (b) Peele
(c) Greene (d) Keyed
156. Thomas Kyd's The Spanish Tragedy shows conspicuous influence of
(a) Seneca (b) Ariosto
(c) Homer (d) Virgil
157. The Spanish Tragedy is historically important because it foreshadows Shakespeare's
(a) King Lear (b) Hamlet
(c) Macbeth (d) Othello
158. One of the University Wits who was killed in a tavern brawl at the age of 29 was
(a) Kyd (b) Greene
(c) Lyly (d) Marlowe
159. Marlowe's tragedies are all
(a) tragedies of royal people
(b) love tragedies
(c) one-man tragedies
(d) revenge plays
160. Who coined the phrase, "Marlowe's mighty line"?
(a) Ben Jonson
(b) Samuel Johnson
(c) R.L. Stevenson
(d) Richard Steele
161. One of the elements that Marlowe introduced into English tragedy is
(a) blank verse
(b) internal struggle
(c) supernatural characters
(d) a unified plot
162. The Jew of Malta is the story of insatiable passion for
(a) power (b) woman
(c) wealth (d) exotic land
163. The Dutch Scholar who is known for his works like Colloquies and In Praise of Folly is
(c) John Colet
164. The 16th century author of two significant works, The Mirror of Magistrates and Induction, is
(a) Wyatt (b) Gascoigne
(c) Sackville (d) Sidney
165. Who is credited for introducing the first English comedy, The Supposes, the first verse satire, The Steel Glass, and the first translation from the Greek tragedy Jocasta?
(d) Philip Sidney
166. The Spenserian poet who had said that he became "irrecoverably a poet" by reading the Faerie Queen when a boy, is
(a) Dryden (b) Fletcher
(c) Moore (d) Cowley
167. I first adventure, follow me who list And be the second English satirist Who acclaimed himself to be the first English satirist in these words?
(a) Joseph Hall
(c) John Donne
(d) John Marston
168. Which of the following is not one of the satirical works of Ben Jonson?
(a) Every Man in His Humor
(b) Every Man out of His Humor
(d) None of the above
169.The Italian novella became common in English translation after the middle of the
(a) 14th century
(b) 15th century
(c) 16th century
(d) 17th century
170. In which of the following, Naples has been described as a place "of more pleasure than profit and yet of more profit than pity"?
(a) Euphuism by Lyly
(b) Pando to by Greene
(c) The Adventures of Master F.J. by Gascoigne
(d) Rosalinda by Lodge
171. The Unfortunate Traveler by Thomas Nash is a typical
(a) love tragedy
(b) pastoral romance
(c) revenge play
(d) picaresque novel
172. The two gentlemen in the Two Gentlemen of Verona are
(a) Douglas and Calvin
(b) Valentine and Protons
(c) Henry Bailey and Davenant
(d) Lovelace and Herrick
173. Who among the following wrote only tragedies?
(b) Thomas Kyd
(c) Christopher Marlowe
(d) Thomas Nash
174. Which of the following poems celebrates Spenser's love?
(b) The Fairies Queen
(c) The Ruins of Time
175. Who among the following is Shakespeare's 'Fair Vestal', Spenser's 'Gloria' and Raleigh's 'Cynthia'?
(a) The English throne
(b) Queen Mary
(c) Queen Elizabeth
176. "The lunatic the lover and the poet Are of imagination all compact" These words of Shakespeare have be extracted from
(a) Love's Labor Lost
(c) Henry IV
(d) Midsummer Night's Dream
177. Sidney's Apologia for Poetries is an answer to
(a) Nash (b) Plato
(c) Gossoon (d) Aristotle
178. Who is referred to as the pioneer of picaresque novel in English
(a) Kyd (b) Nash
(c) Greene (d) Lyly
179. Who popularized the inductive method for arriving at through his Ovum Organism?
(a) Ben Jonson
(b) Francis Bacon
(c) Addison and Steele
(d) Dr. Johnson
180. Bacon defined the essay as
(a) "receptacle for detached thoughts"
(b) "disposed meditations"
(c) "leisurely talk of a philosopher over the dinner table"
(d) Both (a) and (b)
181. "Marlowe's mighty line"-this phrase refers to his
(a) blank verse
(b) weighty diction
(c) compact style
182. On whose tomb the following lines have been inscribed?
"Good friend for Jesus' sake forebear To dig the dust enclosed hearer; Blest be the man that spares these stones, And curst be he that moves my bones"
(a) Marlowe's (b) Sidney's
(c) Shakespeare's (d) Milton's
183. The one that traces the genealogy of a Shoemaker is
(b) Shoemaker's Holiday
(c) School of Abuse
(d) The Gentle Craft
184. How many tales were actually planned by Chaucer for his Canterbury Tales, but how many could be complete?
(a) 120 planned, 20 completed
(b) 124 planned, 24 completed
(c) 20 planned, 20 completed
(d) 134 planned, 30 completed
185. The Tales are all in verse except two. Which are the ones in prose?
(a) Chaucer's Tale of Millie
(b) Doctor's Tale
(c) Knight's Tale
(d) Squire's Tale
186. There is one tale in The Canterbury Tales which is a shrewd satire on unequal marriages. Which one is that?
(a) The Nun's Priest's Tale of the Cock Chanticleer and the Fox
(b) The Merchant's Tale of January and May
(c) The Wife of Bath's Tale
(d) The Knight's Tale
187. Name the longest tale in The Canterbury Tales.
(a) The Wife of Bath's
(b) The Franklin's
(c) The Knight's
(d) The Cook's
188. An interesting work of this period is a verse debate of two birds who advocate their relative merits. What is the name of the poem, which is often found in the school anthologies in India?
(b) The Owl and the Nightingale
(c) Cuckoo Song
(d) The Cricket and the Grass-hopper
189. Sir Gawain and the Green Night is a/an
(a) romance (b) epic
(c) fairy tale (d) verse drama
190. In the 15th century, Scottish poetry flourished in England. Given below are four poets. Only one of them is not a Scottish poet. Who is that ?
(a) John Skelton
(b) John Barbour .
(c) William Dunbar
(d) Gain Douglas
191. About Total's Miscellany a character in Shakespeare's play says, "I had rather than forty shillings I had my Book of Songs and Sonnets here." Who is the speaker and in which play?
(a) Slender in The Merry Wives of Windsor
(b) Cali ban in The Tempest
(c) Rosalind in As You Like It
(d) Don Pedro in Much Ado About Nothing
192. Who of the following is considered the founder of English prose?
(a) King Arthur
(b) King Alfred
193. Who is the author of Book of Philip Sparrow?
(a) Philip Sidney
(c) John Skelton
194. Name Sackville's blank verse tragedy
(a) A Gorgeous Gallery of Gallant Inventions
(c) Gotboduc or Ferrex and Porrex
(d) Steel Glass
195. Name the author of Book of Martyrs (1563)?
(a) Hugh Latimer
(b) Bishop Ridley
(c) John Foxe
(d) John Knox
196. Given below are the title of some famous ballads. Mark the one which is called "a little epic". It describes the gallant fight between two lords, Percy of Northumberland and Douglas of Scotland.
(a) Chevy Chase
(b) Sir Patrick Spans
(c) Robin Hood and the Curtail Friar
(d) Loch invar
197. Which month figures in the Prologue to Canterbury Tales?
(a) March (b) March-April
(c) April (d) May
193. Identify the love lyric among the following,
(a) Handling Sin (b) Alison
(c) Sir Patrick Spans (d) Ormolu
199. A noteworthy work produced under the French influence in England was Layamon's voluminous poem of about 30,000 lines, named Brut. What is this book about?
(a) It is a legendary history of Britain
(b) It is the story of Brutus
(c) It is King Arthur's quest
(d) It is a long pastoral poem
200. What is the subject of Gower's Confession Amentias?
(b) Moral teachings
(d) Confession of a sinner
Chaucer to Shakespeare Multiple Choice Questions
Do you like this site?
If you enjoy reading PreserveArticles.com, please share this site with your friends.?