Development before Independence
1. The first institute imparting physical education was founded by H.C. Buck in 1920 in Madras. He named it YMCA College of Physical Education.
2. Hanuman Vyayam Prasarak Mandal was founded in Amravati offering certificate, diploma and degree courses in physical education. The aim was to propagate the cause of indigenous games and sports, i.e., Kho-Kho, Wrestling, Kabaddi, etc.
Development after Independence
1. Tara Chand Committee was appointed in 1948.
2. Central Advisory Board of Physical Education and Recreation was appointed in 1950.
3. Coaching Scheme for Games and Sports suggested by Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur was started in 1953.
4. All India Council of Sports was setup in 1954.
5. Central Advisory Board of Physical Education (1956).
6. Lakshmibai College of Physical Education (1957).
7. In 1958, Sports and Youth Welfare Department was established.
8. National Physical Fitness Drive (1959).
9. National Institute of Sports (1961).
10. National Fitness Corps (1965).
11. Rural Sports Tournament Scheme (1970-71).
12. Sports Talent Search Scholarship Scheme (1970-71).
13. National Sports Championship (1975).
14. A separate department was set up in 1982, prior to the commencement of the Ninth Asian Games.
15. Asian Games (1982).
16. Sports Authority of India (1984).
17. Lakshmibai College of Physical Education in Gwalior made 'Deemed University.' (1995)
18. The first ever National Sports Policy was announced in 1984.
19. The Ministry of Human Resource Development was set up in 1985, with the objective of integrating efforts for development of human potential in the areas of education.
20. Women & Child Development, Arts and Culture, Youth Affairs & Sports through its constituent departments.
21. The Sports Authority of India (SAI) was established in 1984 as a registered society in pursuance of a Government of India resolution.
22. Its main objectives include the effective and optimum utilisation of various sports facilities and all matters pertaining to sports promotion and sports management.