The SAARC comprises five leayers of organizational structure:
1. Council: At the top, there is the Council represented by the heads of the government of the member countries. The council the apex policy making body. It meets once in 2 years time.
2. Council of Minister: It is to assist the council. It is represented by the foreign ministe of the member countries. Its functions include:
- Formulation of policies
- Review of functioning
- Deciding new areas of cooperation
- Chalk our additional mechanism
- Decide about general issues of common of interest of the SAARC member.
3. Standing Committee: It is comprised by the foreign secretarian of the member government. Its major functions are:
- To monitor and co-ordinate the programmes
- To determine inter-sectored priorities
- To mobilise cooperation within and outside the region
- To deal with the modalities of financing.
4. Programming Committee: It consist of the senior official of the member governments. Its functions include:
- Scrutinizing the budget of the secretarials
- Finalizing the annual schedule
- External activities assigned by the standing committee
- Analyses the respects of the technical committee.
5. Technical Committee: It consist of the represented of the member nations. Its function are:
- To formulate project and programmer
- To monitor and execute the projects
- To submit reports.
The Technical Committee convers the areas such as: Aqriculture, Communication, Environment, Rural Development, Health and Population, Science and Technology, Tourism and Transport.
6. Secretarial: The SAARC secretarials is located in Nepal. Its fuction include:
1. Coordination, execution and monetaring of SAARC activities
2. Servicing the SAARC meetings
3. Work as communication link between the SAARC and other international forume.
The secretarials is headed by the secretary-General appointed by the Council of Ministers. These are 7 Director (One from each member nation) and the general service staff.