1. What was the name of the father of Gautam Buddha?
And. Shuddodhana, who was the chief of the state Kapilvastu.
2. What was the name of Buddha's mother?
3. What was the childhood name of Gautam Buddha?
4. Who brought up Siddharth when his mother died in his childhood?
Ans. His step mother, Gautami.
5. What was the name of Siddharth's wife?
6. What was the name of his son?
7. What is 'great renunciation' in Buddhism?
Ans. Siddharth left his home at the age of twenty nine in search of truth; this event is known as "great renunciation".
8. Where did he attain enlightment?
Ans. He attained enlightment (Nirvana) at Bodh Gaya near Gaya under a banyan tree on the bank of the river Niranjana.
9. With which name after getting enlightment Buddha was known?
10. What does the term 'Buddha' mean?
Ans. Tathgat (one who possesses the truth).
11. Why is Gautam Buddha also known as Shakyamuni?
Ans. Because he belonged to Shakya clan.
12. Where did Gautam Buddha give his first sermon?
Ans. At deer park, Sarnath near Banaras.
13. What does the term "Dharam Chakra Pravartana "mean?
Ans. Gautam Buddha's first sermon at Sarnath, is known as Dharam Chakra Pravartana.
14. Who are "monks or Bhikshus"?
Ans. The followers of Buddha who are engaged in spreading his messages are called "monks or Bhikshus".
15. What is 'Sangh' in Buddhism?
Ans. Gautam Buddha established the orders of monks called 'Sangh' to preach Buddhism.
16. When and where did Buddha die?
Ans. 483 BC at the age of eighty at Kushinagar in Gorakhpur.
17. What does the term "Mahaparinirvana" mean in Buddhism?
Ans. The death of Buddha is known as Mahaparinirvana.
18. What does the term 'Nirvana' mean?
Ans. To get free from the cycle of birth and rebirth.
19. In which language did Buddha preach?
20. Which path has been advocated by Buddha to attain Nirvana?
Ans. The eightfold path or Ashtangika Marga.
21. What are the 'Ashtangika Marga' preached by Buddha?
As. Buddha's Ashtangika Marga are following
(1) Right belief, (2) Right thought, (3) Right speech, (4) Right action, (5) Right living, (6) Right effort, (7) Right recollection and (o) Right meditation.
These eightfold path is also known as middle path.
22. What idea Gautam Buddha had about the existence of God?
Ans. Buddha did not say anything about the existence of God.
23. Where did Mahatma Buddha establish Sangha' ?
Ans. At Sarnath. (RRB 97)
24. What are the Triratnas' of Buddhism?
Ans. Buddha, Sangha and Dhamma.
25. What does the term Dhamma' mean?
Ans. 'It is a Prakrit language-means Dharama (Religion).
26. What are the religious literatures of Buddhists?
Ans. The religious literatures of Buddhists are called Tripitakas.
27. How many Pitakas are there?
Ans. There are three Pitakas-Vinay Pitaka, Sutta Pitaka an Abhidhamma Pitaka.
28. In which language the Buddhist literatures were written?
Ans. Pali language.
29. What are Jatakas?
Ans. Jatakas are Buddhist literatures. They deal with the M stories of the Buddha in his previous lives.
30. Who was the most favourite desciple of Gautam Buddha?
31. Who was the most favourite lady monk of Buddha?
Ans. Gautami, his step mother.
32. From whom did Mahatma Buddha learn the technique of meditation?
Ans. Alara Kalama.
33. What is Stupa?
Ans. This term is used in Buddhism. It means monuments containing relics of Buddha.
34. What is Chaityamandap?
Ans. This is the prayer hall for Buddhists.
35. What is Viharas in Buddhism?
Ans. It is monastries for monks.
36. When did the Buddhism split up into two parts?
Ans. During the reign of Kanishka Buddhism was divided in two parts-Hinayana and Mahayana.
37. What does the term 'Hinayana' mean?
Ans. Orthodox Buddhism is known as Hinayana or lesser vehic le. The Hinayana considers Buddha as a teacher or Guru and does not worship him as God.
38. What does the term 'Mahayana' mean?
Ans. The reformed Buddhism is known as Mahayana. The followers of Mahayana faith worship Buddha as God. Mahays means the greater vehicle.
39. What information does Sutta Pitaka provide?
Ans. It provides the principles of Buddhism.
40. What information does Vinaya Pitaka provide?
Ans. It provides the rules and regulations of the Buddhist Sangha.
41. What information does Abhidhamma Pitaka provide?
Ans. It explains the Buddhist religious philosophy
Do you like this site?
If you enjoy reading PreserveArticles.com, please share this site with your friends.?