1. Simple language : The language used in the communication should be simple and understandable.
2. Clearness : The communicator should be clear in his mind about the objective of his communication. There should not be any ambiguity in communication.
3. Adequacy of information : It should contain adequate information and should be complete in all respect; otherwise it will not serve the purpose of communication.
4. Proper medium of communication : The communicator should select the proper media of communication by considering such factors as the nature of communication, urgency of communication, distance between communicator and recipient of communication etc.
5. Accurate : An effective communication should be accurate. False and misleading statement will seriously undermine the reputation of the business. It may also lead to expensive litigation.
6. Courtesy : Politeness is, of course, one of the important attributes of good business communication. A polite language should be used in communication. It helps improve business relations.
Elements of Communication
The basic elements of communication are :
a) Communicator : The sender, speaker, issuer, or writer who intends to convey or transmit a message.
b) Message : The subject matter of communication.
c) Transmission : The act of conveying the message.
d) Channel : The medium used to transmit the message.
e) Receiver : The person to whom the message is meant
f) Response : Replying or reaction of the receiver.
Importance of Communication
Communication is one of the important functions of a manager. Every manager must communicate in order to get things done through others. Communication is indispensable for all managerial controlling. In the opinion of Chester Barnard "The first executive function is to develop and maintain a system of communication. In the words of George R. Terry "Communication serves as the lubricant, fostering for the smooth operations of the management process".
The importance of communication could be stated as under :
a) Communication is the basis for decision making and planning.
b) It helps in smooth and efficient working of an organisation.
c) It facilitates co-ordination.
d) It increases managerial efficiency.
e) It promotes co-operation and industrial peace.
f) It motivates employees and increases employee morale
g) It helps in effective control of the entire operations of the organisation.
h) It helps to maintain public relations.