Start your letter by giving reasons for doing so:
1. As l had been away on an official tour for more than a month, I could not supervise my son's studies.
2. As a result of pressing business engagements for quite a few weeks, of late, I could not attend to my daughter's studies.
3. On account of my illness, I have not personally attended to my son's studies for quite a few days.
4. This being the end of the financial year, I was tied up with the office work and thus, could not pay much attention to my sister's studies.
5. The annual examinations are approaching nearer and I felt it necessary to know about the performance of my daughter in the class.
6. As I was away to Europe for three months on a sales promotion campaign for my company, l could not pay attention to my daughter's studies.
Now, enquire about your son's/ daughter's progress in studies:
7. May I ask you to let me know in detail about his/her progress in the class?
8. I would, therefore, request you to let me know if his progress is satisfactory.
9. So, please let me know how he is doing.
10. Could you let me know about his/her progress?
11. His last monthly report indicated that he was a little weak in English. So I would like to know if he has improved this time or not.
12. His performance in the last quarterly exam was unsatisfactory. Do you advise me to arrange for a private tuition?
13. Please let me know how he can improve to catch up with the rest of the class.
14. Please inform what lessons he/she has missed during his/her absence.
15. Please write to me at the earliest about the progress she has made during this period - and also about the subjects she is weak at.
Write about the usefulness of the information to be received:
16. This would help me considerably to supervise his studies in a better way.
17. Your letter will help me decide whether he needs private coaching in any subject or not.
18. If you suggest, my sister who is a university teacher could coach him.
19. Information about his performance in the class will enable me to make some tutorial arrangements, if needed.
20. Your suggestions will help me considerably in my attempt to improve her/ his performance
21. With your suggestions I shall feel better equipped to help her in her examinations.
22. Your information will enable me to monitor his/her improvement.
Close the letter by giving thanks:
23. I will feel obliged if you help me in this regard
24. Please excuse me for the trouble.
25. Thanking you.
26. Your advice will go a long way in improving/ helping her/ his career.
27. I shall feel highly obliged for your invaluable help in this regard.
As I had been away on an official tour for more than a month, I could not supervise my son's studies. So, please let me know how he is doing. Your letter would help me decide whether he needs private coaching in any subject or not. Please excuse me for the trouble.