Fire accident occurs mostly due to carelessness. It generally happens in Summer Season. But the fire accident which I saw happened in Winter Season. It was chilly evening. The farmers had come back from their corn fields. Ours is a small village. That evening the entire village was silent as all were confined to their houses due to cold wind.
Suddenly, I heard a shout, "fire", and “fire". I rushed out and saw fire at the end of the village. In no time many people ran to the spot. I also went there. The thatched cowshed of Mr. Ananta Panda was on the fire. All were trying to pour water on the fire. The fire was about to spread to other thatched roofs near the cowshed.
The cause of the fire accident was very simple. Mr. Panda who is a farmer is an old man. That evening he was burning some dry hay inside the cowshed. His intention was to supply warmth to the cattle inside the shed. But the flame touched the low roof of the shed. Suddenly, the roof caught fire. Mr. Panda could not control it. Fortunately, he untied the cattle and drove them out. He himself came out and shouted! His family members also joined the cry.
The fire then spread to Mr. Panda's neighbor. The people who were gathering there began to pull down the thatch. Some people threw water on the burning part of the roof. Some others went in to the rooms and brought many household things. A small baby was also saved. The women and children were crying. It was a very cruel and dangerous sight.
I could not stand idle. I immediately consulted my friends. We borrowed a diesel pump-set from one of our villagers and functioned it near the pond to bring water. The fire was brought under control in no time. Although the fire claimed no life, the store house of paddy belonging to Mr. Panda's neighbor was burnt. The cowshed of Mr. Panda was also burnt.
It was an irony of fate. The carelessness of Mr. Panda caused the fire in which his neighbor's grain house was burnt.