1. Water is in fact a pre-condition of life.
2. It is a very important and critical resource of India.
3. The monsoonal rainfall throughout the country has further added to its critical nature.
4. The list of its uses has been ambitious because it is required for drinking and domestic consumption.
5. It is being put to use for various industrial purposes.
6. Agriculture has been claiming a greater and greater share for irrigation keeping in view the rapid growth of population.
7. The growing urbanisation with its modern life style has been demanding greater share of water day by day.
Some common measures to increase water resources are creation more water storage reservoirs, inter-basin transfer of water and measures to raise underground water level. Among the various water conservation techniques, watershed development and rain water harvesting have become very popular.