The Prime Minister occupies a unique position of power and prestige. His powers and functions are:
1. He prepares the list of the council of ministers. The president cannot drop any name from this list;
2. The Prime Minister distributes the work to the different ministers;
3. He can dismiss an erring minister;
4. He presides over the meetings of the Cabinet;
5. He supervises and co-ordinates the working of various departments;
6. He is the main spokesman of the ministry;
7. He is a link between the council of ministers and the President.
8. He advises the President on the issue of making appointments;
9. He advises the President to dissolve the Lok Sabha; and
10. He plays a leading role in making all policy statements as also the preparation of the annual budget.