Nowadays English has a special and predominant role in the communicative sphere of the world. It has also a special identity in the field of education.
A language is a medium of communication and interacting verbally in our day-to day life situation in family and society. But in India English is a foreign language. It is different from mother tongue. The teaching of English is highly desirable for a English teacher. Before starting his teaching, it requires for the teacher to fix up his aims and objectives. It makes him efficient.
Objectives Teaching English:
(A) The objective of teaching English has two main aspects:
(i) Language aspect: Words, sentences, pronunciation, spelling and grammar.
(ii) Literature aspect: Words, sentences, expressing ideas, feelings and experiences.
(B) The English language teaching has four objectives to develop four skills:
(i) Reading, (ii) Writing, (iii) Speaking and (iv) Listening.
(C) The English teaching also has two objectives:
(I) Skill objectives include:
- To develop the skill of speaking,
- To develop the skill of reading,
- To develop the skill of writing,
- To develop the skill of listening,
- To enable the students for the use of grammar correctly,
- To enable the students to analyze the element of language and establish the appropriate relationship among linguistic components.
(II) Cognitive objectives include:
- To acquire knowledge,
- To diagnose the weakness of speaking and writing English,
- To compare and illustrate linguistic components,
- To classify the elements of English language,
- To understand the meaning of prose, poetry, story and drama by reading.
In order to teach English correctly and properly English teacher must know the aims and objectives of teaching English.