Water is equally important for plants. It performs the following important functions in plants:
1. Water is essential for the germination of seeds and growth of plants.
2. During the process of photosynthesis, plants synthesize carbohydrates from carbon dioxide and water. Therefore, water is one of the essential components for the plant.
3. Water acts as a solvent for fertilizers and other minerals, which are taken up by the plant roots in the from of solution. Thus, water serves as the medium in which plants absorb soluble nutrients from the soil.
4. Water serves as medium for transport of chemicals to and from cells.
5. Water pressure in plant cells provides the firmness to the plants.
6. Aquatic life is possible in water only.