Food preservation has the following advantages:
1. Food preservation prevents the food from being spoiled by the action of enzymes and microorganisms.
2. Food preservation increases the safe storage period of foodstuffs.
3. It increases the availability of out of season foodstuffs.
4. It increases the availability of various foodstuffs even at distant and not easily approachable places. In other words, it makes the transportation of the food materials easier.
5. Food preservation makes up for the deficiencies in the diet.