Some of the essential properties of solids are :
Properties of Solids:
1. A solid has a definite volume and definite shape.
Reason: The intermolecular force of attraction is very strong. The molecules are strongly held and arranged in order.
2. A solid is rigid and cannot be compressed easily.
Reason: Molecules are closely spaced and the intermolecular separation is very small which cannot be reduced further.
3. A solid does not diffuse into another solid easily.
Reason: Intermolecular force of attraction is very strong.
4. A solid does not flow and can be stored in a container.
Reason: Intermolecular fore of attraction is so strong that molecules do not flow and leave the surface of the solid.
5. A solid on hating usually changes into its liquid state.
Reason: Heating provides sufficient energy to molecules to overcome the intermolecular force of attraction. Intermolecular separation increases, changing the solid into liquid.