Some of the essential properties of solids are :
Properties of Solids:
1. A solid has a definite volume and definite shape.
Reason: The intermolecular force of attraction is very strong. The molecules are strongly held and arranged in order.
2. A solid is rigid and cannot be compressed easily.
Reason: Molecules are closely spaced and the intermolecular separation is very small which cannot be reduced further.
3. A solid does not diffuse into another solid easily.
Reason: Intermolecular force of attraction is very strong.
4. A solid does not flow and can be stored in a container.
Reason: Intermolecular fore of attraction is so strong that molecules do not flow and leave the surface of the solid.
5. A solid on hating usually changes into its liquid state.
Reason: Heating provides sufficient energy to molecules to overcome the intermolecular force of attraction. Intermolecular separation increases, changing the solid into liquid.
Do you like this site?
If you enjoy reading PreserveArticles.com, please share this site with your friends.?